Sunday, February 18, 2007

Sundays: Rest and Relax

I've been accused (ok - labeled but if feels like an accusation) of being a bit too intense. In an effort to put balance in the flow of my blog, today's post is dedicated to some of my non-work interests in the sensory world. That would be, bluegrass music and wine.

I found a 24 hour bluegrass streaming radio station last night about 5:00 - - located here at Bluegrasscountry.org. Plays both vintage and contemporary with a good balance. The only commercials I've heard so far are limited to public service with shows originating both inside and outside the US. Great show last night from Mike Kear in Australia called Music from Foggy Hollow. The plinka, plinka coming through my laptop speakers may drive my sons out of the house (a new strategy for getting young adults to leave home?) but I'm in bluegrass lover's heaven.

As would be expected given the roots of the genre, the programming this morning is all gospel. Takes this downhome Kentucky girl back to playing piano as part of the church gospel quartet with the standard of two guitars and a bass with switch off of a banjo, a mandolin or the big favorite with the crowds, a harmonica. "Skinny country guy" Bill was the leader and every song would have at least one finger-picking guitar interlude. Never did figure out if the positive response from the congregation was genuine or just an reaction to a break from the norm but it sure was fun!

On the wine front, I was out Friday night with some friends and did a repeat order of a flight that included a 2003 Cotes du Rhone. Very tasty! I did some research and discovered that 2003 was a hot summer in France which means the grapes riped fast. I guess at the time, there was debate on the impact but it has turned out to be a good thing. Sure is by me. As I was looking at specifics on this wine, I found this on biodynamics which reminded me of a major section in one of my favorite books of last year - The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan.

No comments: