Saturday, March 17, 2007

Randolph Tasting Room

Went to the Randolph Tasting Room on Friday night and had a great time drinking tasty wine, eating Italian cheeses and chocolates, kicking back and telling stories.

Started with a flight of these: westerly vineyards merlot-2002, dunham cellars three legged red - 2005 and kamen cabernet sauvignon -2003. The kamen cabernet was as good as I was hoping it would be with a rich beginning, smooth finish - delightful! Wanted a bottle of that but just a bit too pricey for my pocketbook unless the tab can be expensed.

We ordered a bottle of Cain Cuvee which disappeared rapidly as did a flight of dark chocolate/bacon, milk chocolate/carmel/pinenuts and dark chocolate/balsamic chocolate truffles.

Only bad thing about really tasty wine is that it goes down so fast and easy - even with all that swirling and slow sipping. We decided we need to plan to go back over the next few months and try two other Cains: Cain Concept and the Cain Five.

While I was looking for all these links, I found this article on the geology of Napa Valley and it's impact on grapes: love this kind of stuff because I can understand it from a gardener's perspective. I am realistic that my ability to distinguish differences in taste and comfort with nomenclature is ever going to develop much beyond it's current state which is "buy a good bottle someone recommends, drink a good bottle" but then I start thinking about terroir, and,my curiosity is hooked. Guess it must be the farmer genes from my Dad.

How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?
Matt Groening (1954 - ), The Simpsons